Tuesday, July 29, 2008
the sylvia top, a design by me
Here it is, my very first design, the Sylvia Top!
I've had this idea in my head (and in my sketchbook) for some time, and now I finallly have something to show for it. Yippee!
I started with a basic sloper for a knit top, and attempted to use the directions in Designing Apparel Through the Flat Pattern to convert the bust dart to a curved yoke.
First, I moved the bust dart to where I wanted the yoke.
Then, I drew a curved line from the moved dart to the front of the pattern.
I intersected the curve along the line where the darts were equidistant.
Here's where I started fudging it a bit. . .the sloper was supposed to have a waist dart, and mine had just a bust dart, so I guessed the location of a waist dart and where it would intersect with the yoke
I redrew the yoke at the intersection point.
And then everything went to heck and I pretty much estimated the yoke line (the green curve).
Here, I removed the bust dart.
Then, on to creating the pintucks. I traced the upper pattern piece, and measured out where I wanted the pintucks with a compass.
The placement of the pintucks:
I numbered the pieces and cut them apart.
Then, I retraced each piece with a 1/2" strip in between. Voila--the upper pattern piece!
Here is my first muslin. I didn't use a knit, and I had to cut myself out of it after squeezing it on. Eeep! Lesson learned.
The pintucks seemed ok, so I just used the yoke outline to create the second muslin.
I thought there was too much fabric in the lower piece, and not enough curve in the bust, so I subtracted more in the dart area from the lower pattern piece.
I traced the finalized pattern onto my chosen fabric (knit cotton gauze), sewed it up, and there you have it, the Sylvia Top!