Tuesday, June 10, 2008

messenger bag . . . finished!

Nearly finished, that is! I still have to decide what type of closure I want to put on this bag, but the rest of it is totally totally finished. It's based on Simplicity 9000. I decided to forgo the red nylon in favor of a soft and hefty cotton upholstery fabric. I also made my own bias binding from the cotton floral print lining. I added about three inches width to the main pattern piece, and I merged the two shoulder straps into one long strap. Honestly, you really don't need a pattern for such a simple bag, but I picked this one up at a 5 for $5 sale (like most of my excessive pattern stash), so I figured I'd put it to use.
simplicity 9000....

This was actually my test run--I intend to make another one out of greenish fabric for my brother's (fast approaching) birthday. I think I'll add some length to the main pattern piece and make the strap skinnier where it hits the shoulder. It could also use an inner pocket or two, and maybe a zipper.

Today's contribution to s t i l l :

No comments: